NSF Student Travel Grant
We are pleased to offer a number of travel assistance grants for students to attend WEIS 2019 supported by the US National Science Foundation (NSF). Please note that all student attendees must have registered to be eligible for support, and these funds will be made in the form of post-workshop reimbursement to cover eligible travel-related expenses which include: economy airfare on a US-based carrier, lodging during the workshop, and workshop registration fees. We anticipate the support of approximately 12 students with an average award of $1,000.
We particularly welcome applications from underrepresented minorities (African Americans, American Indians including Native Alaskans, Hispanics and Native Pacific Islanders) and women. In addition to supporting advanced doctoral students who desire travel support to present their research papers that have been accepted to the WEIS program, we also encourage students who are attending WEIS for the first time and do not have a paper accepted to the program, as well as undergraduate students, to apply. In this way, we hope to support both advanced graduate students and the development of students who are early on in their graduate studies.
Eligibility for Student Travel Grant
- The student must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited US institution (or a US citizen enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a foreign university).
- The student must be registered to attend WEIS (can do so after grant approval).
- If using the travel grant for airfare reimbursement, the student must fly with a US-based carrier. Per NSF policy, only airfare on a US-based carrier can be reimbursed.
An application for the student travel award must include:
- A resume or CV of the student
- A signed statement from the student’s principal advisor addressing the availability of funds for the student’s travel and commitment to covering the cost of travel in excess of the travel grant
- A short statement from the student that includes a discussion of:
- The student’s research interests and accomplishments up to date
- Why attending WEIS would be difficult without the travel award
- How attending WEIS will help the student’s professional and educational goals
- Whether the student will be presenting a paper at WEIS (if so, provide the accepted paper title)
- Any other helpful information that relates to the objectives of the NSF student travel grant that are stated above
The application should be submitted as a single PDF file (preferably with 3 bookmarks for each of the three sections listed above) with subject “WEIS 2022 Student Travel Grant” e-mailed to the general chair firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Travel grant application deadline:
May 9, 2022Open until filled
- Travel grant award notification: May 12, 2022